Saturday, December 24, 2005

Soldiers Make Way for KR Tribunal Task Force

THE CAMBODIA DAILY

Volume 33 Issue 31

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

By YUN SAMEAN


Soldiers stationed at RCAF head­quarters in Kandal province's Ang Snuol district will leave in the com­ing weeks so members of the Khmer Rouge tribunal task force can begin working by Jan 15, Prime Minister Hun Sen said Monday.

Speaking to reporters at a confer­ence at the Interior Ministry, the premier said the move highlights the government's commitment to the tribunal despite its inability to pay its share of the tribunal budget.

The government will try to find the remaining $10.8 million even as it works to get the tribunal up and running, he said.

“I think the budget cannot be­come an obstacle for the prosecu­tion,” Hun Sen said. “We already have some of the budget and we will use the budget to proceed and we will continue to seek” the re­mainder.

Last week, the head of the UN delegation, Michelle Lee, said her team would return in February and take up residence at the RCAF headquarters to begin tribunal preparations.

At the time, tribunal coordinator Sean Visoth said that while the government is committed to moving ahead with the tribunal, its bud­getary shortfall could create delays.

Sean Visoth and government tri­bunal task force member Helen Jarvis could not be reached for comment Monday.

So far, India, with a $1 million contribution, has been the only country that has responded to nu­merous appeals from the government to the international community for contributions to aid the government’s budgetary commitment.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home