Thursday, May 11, 2006

KR Tribunal Official Says May 4 Report Was Wrong

Whitney Kvasager
The Cambodia Daily
Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Khmer Rouge tribunal’s chief of public affairs on Tuesday cited an error in a May 4 story regarding the selection of tribunal judges and prosecutors as the reason for requiring that Cambodia Daily reporters submit all questions to the tribunal in writing. Responding to a Sunday request for clarification, Helen Jarvis wrote in an e-mail that a tribunal press officer had been misquoted as saying that UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan would be sent the list of Cambodian and international tribunal appointees for appointees for approval. In an article published the following day, the tribunal spokesman said the list will be forwarded to Annan for notification purposes only. Jarvis, a long-time adviser to Deputy Prime Minister Sok An, said the new media policy is not a sanction. The public affairs chief also responded to comments by legal analyst Lao Mong Hay, who said on Sunday that her strong links to the government boded ill for access to information from the tribunal. “I have no public position on any other aspects of Cambodian government policy and nor am I affiliated to any Cambodian political party,” Jarvis wrote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home